Friday, July 28, 2017

News Today

As I have said many times before, I'm not very good at keeping up with the news today and current events. Most of my news comes from Facebook via friends sharing links or from status updates about things they have heard or seen happening. My other news outlet is through word of mouth. I work with a lot of people who are into politics and keep up with what is going on in our country and they talk about it at work where I then hear about it. I take all this news information with a grain of slat though until I can further look into it because I know word of mouth and Facebook aren't the most credible of sources. Facebook can lead to looking at credible sources, but it is still important to double check statements before accepting them as truth. I believe news is important and I try to look into what is going on, but I honestly don't look into it enough to think that the local news has too much of an impact on my daily life. I don't plan on living in Corvallis forever and have only been here three years so some of the very local changes don't affect me as much as someone who has lived here their entire life and plans on staying longer. If local were to mean the state of Oregon I would say it is concerning to me what happens, but I don't think of it on a daily basis.

I don't subscribe to any news websites or newspapers and the only reason I have basic cable (which includes a few news channels) is because Comcast offered me a deal if I got it to pair with my internet. This isn't because I don't value the news, but I think there are ways I can reach reliable information without paying for it. Many big newspaper companies have online resources as well, and with access to multiple free newspapers it can be simple to fact check information. I also know myself well enough to think "Would I really read the newspaper if I subscribed to one?" The answer is no. I lack the motivation to read it, it's a habit I am trying to break. I don't want to brush off the news and what is happening today. I just do.

It isn't just news like what our government is up to or what is going on with other countries and our relations with them. I'm entirely out of the loop when it comes to news. I don't know much about celebrity lives or who is coming out with a new music album or even what movies are in theatre. If I were to be honest with myself I would have to say on a scale of 1-5 on how informed I am I would say 1.5. It's not like I am oblivious, I know what changes are being made in certain areas, such as our education system, because I want a career working with children and this could potentially land me working in the school district so I keep up with that area of information. It's important to me to be informed in this area not only because it could potentially affect a career for myself, but affects all the children who will be attending school when these changes occur and they cannot get back these years of school and do them again for a better education.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LBCC Radio

I didn't know that some people at Linn Benton had thought of creating a radio station based out of the campus, but I think it is somethi...