Saturday, August 19, 2017

The Influence of Music

I've never really been told that I couldn't listen to a certain genre of music because of what they were saying or who the artist was or any other reason, nor have I really been around when someone was told they couldn't listen to a particular song or genre. I understand why some people, especially parents, would try to limit what their children hear though. For example, a lot of rap music or R&B is pretty explicit in talking about sex or sexual situations as well as rap being known for the profanity in many songs. People sometimes stereotype people who listen to particular genres as well, such as hard rock or screamo and parents may try to keep their child from listening to this if they agree with the stereotype themselves.
One situation that I can remember where I kept someone from listening to a particular song was when I was with my younger sisters, who were 7 and 5 at the time, and the song Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon. When it came on the radio I quickly changed the station to avoid any questions that might arise. Another time was recently at work when one of our preppers in the back was playing music, as they always do, but the song Closer by Nine Inch Nails came on. I asked them to skip the song in case anyone were to get offended by what it was going to say. Both of these situations weren't awful and I only really felt bad asking our prepper to turn off the song because we typically let them listen to what they want since they're in the back by themselves, but since that song is so explicit I felt as though it shouldn't be played at work. With my little sisters I know that if they wanted to listen to that song when they were older it would be alright with my parents, but I felt awkward in case they asked me any questions about sex.
I don't have a top favorite genre of music, I go between many and have phases of which I listen to most at the time. I always have a country station on in my car, when I go to the gym I tend to listen to rap, but I also appreciate R&B and funk music. I currently love the song Atomic Dog by George Clinton. A few of my favorite artists are Kendrick Lamar, The Ying Yang Twins, Darius Rucker, Nykee Heaton, and Childish Gambino. I have been to a variety of concerts, including Five Finger Death Punch, Billy Currington, Frankie Ballard, Odesza, and I went to the Mad Decent Block Party in Eugene last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LBCC Radio

I didn't know that some people at Linn Benton had thought of creating a radio station based out of the campus, but I think it is somethi...