Saturday, July 8, 2017

Why do I follow advertisements?

As I've said before, I have a love for Instagram. I follow many people, some I know and many I do not, I follow companies, food blogs and Etsy shops, but why do I chose to follow those that are basically displaying ads in my feed? I ask myself this question, but I do not know the answer, I just know that I won't be clicking the unfollow button anytime soon.

One company I follow is Live Fit Apparel. I stumbled upon them through a fitness page I like to look at where a bikini body competitor posts about her workout, fitness tips and other various motivational pictures and stories. She isn't a model for the company, but wears their clothes quite often in her video clips and pictures, making quite a good advertisement the company is not paying for. This is one way the company is using social media to

reach out to consumers, if they didn't have an Instagram page, others wouldn't be able to tag them. Since they can be tagged it gives people quick and easy access to a link for their website. Another way they use Instagram well is tagging other models in their pictures. Now the Live Fit Apparel page is on the person's page if one were to click on tagged photos. To see their Instagram page it is @live_fit_apparel.
I think this source of media is very effective for them. It seems to be geared more so towards people in their 20's and into their 30's, people who would be likely to be into social media and Instagram. The fitness community within this particular social media outlet makes it especially beneficial for them. There are many body builders, fitness instructors, nutritionist, or even simply regular people who enjoy going to the gym who post their workouts, brands they like and much more. It is easy to send other people pictures that are posted on Instagram or to tag them in the comments, making it easy to share new released clothing or ones in stock they like. I think that this is working for them. I see many people wearing Live Fit clothing on Instagram and I myself have been looking into buying something. I have been sucked into the consumer black hole created by advertising and even though I am aware of it, I still let it happen.
The one thing I would recommend to the company is to think about doing a giveaway. I see many little shops, often those I follow from Etsy, and other fitness companies, such as PEScience, doing giveaways for free product or a gift card simply by following them and tagging friends in the comments. This would lead to more followers and potentially new buyers.

Photos are from the Live Fit Apparel Instagram page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LBCC Radio

I didn't know that some people at Linn Benton had thought of creating a radio station based out of the campus, but I think it is somethi...